The MN350 Divestment Team is up and running!
Wondering how you can get more involved with divestment in Minnesota by supporting existing campaigns? The MN350 Divestment Team meets twice a month to do just this! These meetings are open to the public and there is no divestment experience required to be a part of the divestment team. Click here for more details.
350.org launched a new fossil fuel divestment campaign this past fall, and in less than 4 months campaigns have sprung up on over 250 colleges and universities across the country. In the picture on the right, you can see Bill McKibben meeting with student leaders from around Minnesota. From big schools like the University of Minnesota to small liberal arts colleges like Gustavus Adolphus College, the idea of divestment is spreading like wildfire. Active campaigns now exist on 12 colleges and universities in Minnesota. To get plugged in, email Patty@MN350.org and she can refer you to the group leaders.
Minnesota Divestment Wins
On January 11th, the Presbytery of the Twin Cities Area passed a resolution to ask the national denomination to divest its funds from the fossil fuel industry. Click here to read more about this story and the instrumental role of youth in its success!
Click here to see which institutions in Minnesota have agreed to divest and find out how they did it.
Student governments at Macalester, Northland, and Augsburg College, University of Minnesota Morris and Twin Cities have all passed resolutions in favor of divestiture! Mayflower Church and the Presbytery of the Twin Cities Area also passed resolutions to take divestment to their national churches. Getting a resolution passed is a prominent and exciting step in the progression of a successful divestment campaign.
What can you do as an alum?
Interested in writing a letter to your alma mater or getting involved with divestment at your church? Check out this alumni letter writing campaign.
Tools & Resources from MN350
As we go deeper into this campaign, know that MN350 is here to support and leverage your campaigns. Below is a list of resources for your campaign to take advantage of as needed. Our goal is to make a stronger movement by connecting those working on divestment to each other so we can be as effective as possible. To let us know of your interest and/or to give feedback, please fill out this form.
- Facebook Page – This is a space to directly share and link your campaign with others around the state.
- MN350 Website
- MN Divestment Google Group – Stay in direct communication with those working on divestment in MN.
- One on one collaboration and coaching. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a conversation.
- Weekly statewide campaign leader conference calls for campaign representatives.
- 2-5 hour campaign tool trainings at the location of your choice. Email email@example.com to schedule a workshop.
- Share your asks and stories through media and the national movement. MN350 is developing relationships with state and national press. Please send us your updates!
National Movement Updates
Check out the Fossil Free blog for a plethora of stories from around the nation.